7th January 2021 Super Short Current Affairs for UPSC Exam
Bank Investment Company (BIC)
– Established by the government under Companies act, 2013.
– A core investment company and will hold more than 50% shares in Public Sector Banks (PSBs).
– BIC was mooted in 2014 by the RBI’s PJ Nayak Committee to review governance of boards of banks.
– As per the Committee’s recommendations, the government set up a Bank Boards Bureau for selecting the top management of PSBs.
Kochi-Mangaluru Natural Gas Pipeline
– 450 km long gas pipeline
– Built by Gas Authority of India Limited i.e., GAIL (India) Ltd.
– Aim: ‘One Nation One Gas Grid’.
1. Natural gas from the Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) 2. Regasification Terminal at Kerala’s Kochi to Karnataka’s Mangaluru.
3. Supply eco-friendly PNG to households and CNG to the transportation sector.
4. Supply Natural Gas to commercial and industrial units across the districts along the pipeline.
– The Horizontal Directional Drilling method was used.
– Assam’s only Ramsar site.
– News: Kamrup district administration has prohibited community fishing at Deepor Beel.
– Key points:
1. It is a permanent freshwater lake located to the south-west of Guwahati city.
2. Lying in a former channel of the Brahmaputra river
3. It lies to the south of the main river channel.
4. It was designated as a Ramsar site in 2002 for sustaining a range of aquatic life forms besides 219 species of birds.