2nd January 2021 Current Affairs for UPSC IAS EXAM
In News: Eight beaches in India have been awarded the coveted ‘Blue Flag’ certification by an eminent international jury.
– Accorded by Foundation for Environment Education in Denmark.
– Launched in 2018
Aim: Sustainable development of coastal regions.
– This flags have been hoisted on country’s eight beaches that have this certification.
Jury comprises :
1. Members of the UNEP
2. United Nations World Tourism Organization
3. Foundation for Environmental Education
– It has also implemented the Beach Environment and Aesthetics Management Services programme.
R P Tiwari Committee
– UGC has set up a 7 member committee headed by R P Tiwari.
– Aim: It will consider the issue of holding common entrance test at undergraduate (UG) level.
– Implements: From the next academic year in central universities to provide a single platform for admission.
– The new National Education Policy NEP advocates reducing the number of entrance tests.
– Conduct a common aptitude test as well as specialised common exams for different disciplines.
– Tests at least twice a year
Ramgopal Rao Committee
– Appointed by Ministry of Education
– Committee: Headed by IIT-Delhi V Ramgopal Rao
– Aim: To suggest measures for implementing reservation in student admissions and faculty recruitment in IITs.
– 23 IITs should be exempted from reservations altogether under the CEI Act, 2019.
– IITs should be added to the list of “Institutions of Excellence”.