5th January 2021 Super Short Current Affairs for UPSC Exam
Digital Payments Index (DPI)
– Launched by RBI in March 2018
– Aim: To capture the extent of digitisation of payments across India.
– Significance: Enable measurement of deepening and penetration of digital payments in the country.
– 5 broad parameters:
1. Payment Enablers (weight 25%)
2. Payment Infrastructure – Demand-side factors (10%)
3. Payment Infrastructure – Supply-side factors (15%)
4. Payment Performance (45%)
5. Consumer Centricity (5%)
Eco-sensitive Zone in Gujarat
News: Tribals have been protesting against a notification of the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change.
Location: Shoolpaneshwar Wildlife Sanctuary in Narmada district, Gujarat as eco-sensitive zones.
Reason: Formation of SoUTA could dilute the power vested with villagers under the PESA Act, 1996.
[SoUTA – The Statue of Unity Area Development and Tourism Governance Authority, or Statue of Unity Tourism Authority.]
Shoolpaneshwar Wild Life Sanctuary
– It was created in 1982
– Dumkhal Sanctuary’ home for sloth bears.
– Location: Vindhyan-Satpura hill ranges.
– The area is predominantly tribal with ‘Vasavas’ as the main tribe.
News: A well-preserved Ice Age woolly rhino has been recovered from permafrost in Russia.
1. The carcass has most of its soft tissues still intact
2. Dated to be 20,000- to 50,000-years-old.
Location: On the Tirekhtyakh river bank, close to the area where another young woolly rhino (Sasha) was recovered in 2014.